Share article 15. God’s Willingness to Forgive – The Bible Home Instructor: Unless otherwise noted, all scripture quotations ar ...
Radical Reformation - The Journey of a Sabbath Keeping Couple
Réforme Radicale – Le Parcours d'un Couple d'Observateurs du Sabbat
Unless otherwise noted, all scripture quotations are from the New King James Version.
1. In what way has God dealt with penitent sinners?
“He has not dealt with us according to our sins, Nor punished us according to our iniquities” (Psalm 103:10).
2. Why has He dealt thus with men?
“As a father pities his children, So the LORD pities those who fear Him. For He knows our frame; He remembers that we are dust” (Psalm 103:13-14).
3. What is God ready to do for all who call upon Him?
“For You, Lord, are good, and ready to forgive, And abundant in mercy to all those who call upon You” (Psalm 86:5).
4. When Abraham asked God to spare Sodom if He should find ten righteous persons therein, what did the Lord say?
“Then he said, “Let not the Lord be angry, and I will speak but once more: Suppose ten should be found there?” And He said, “I will not destroy it for the sake of ten”” (Genesis 18:32).
5. What prayer did Moses offer in behalf of Israel?
“Pardon the iniquity of this people, I pray, according to the greatness of Your mercy, just as You have forgiven this people, from Egypt even until now”” (Numbers 14:19).
6. What reply did the Lord immediately make?
“Then the LORD said: “I have pardoned, according to your word”” (Numbers 14:20).
7. When David confessed his great sin to God, what was done in answer to that prayer?
“I acknowledged my sin to You, And my iniquity I have not hidden. I said, “I will confess my transgressions to the LORD,” And You forgave the iniquity of my sin” (Psalm 32:5).
8. Does the Lord always forgive sins when they are properly confessed to Him?
“If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness” (1 John 1:9).
9. How full is the Lord’s forgiveness, when one fulfills the conditions?
“Let the wicked forsake his way, And the unrighteous man his thoughts; Let him return to the LORD, And He will have mercy on him; And to our God, For He will abundantly pardon” (Isaiah 55:7).
10. In what special manner has God shown His willingness to forgive the sinner?
“But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us” (Romans 5:8).
11. What does this wonderful manifestation on the part of God, vouchsafe to us?
“He who did not spare His own Son, but delivered Him up for us all, how shall He not with Him also freely give us all things?” (Romans 8:32).
12. Why has such provision been made?
“The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance” (2 Peter 3:9).
13. When the prodigal son in the parable, repented and turned toward home, what did his father do?
“And he arose and came to his father. But when he was still a great way off, his father saw him and had compassion, and ran and fell on his neck and kissed him” (Luke 15:20).
14. Upon the son’s asking to be made only a hired servant what order was issued on behalf of the penitent one?
““But the father said to his servants, ‘Bring out the best robe and put it on him, and put a ring on his hand and sandals on his feet. And bring the fatted calf here and kill it, and let us eat and be merry; for this my son was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.’ And they began to be merry” (Luke 15:22-24).
15. Is God as willing to do for His children as earthly parents are for theirs?
“If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him!” (Luke 11:13).
16. How many receive forgiveness from God?
“For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened” (Matthew 7:8).
17. Does the Lord forget the cries of those who call upon Him?
“Can a woman forget her nursing child, And not have compassion on the son of her womb? Surely they may forget, Yet I will not forget you” (Isaiah 49:15).
Painting: "The Return of the Prodigal Son" (1773) by Pompeo Batoni.